Sunday, November 1, 2009

Meet.....

Andrea. AKA Duren. I cant recall the last time I got her attention by calling her by her first name, Andrea. She inherited her last name Duren as her first name when we were in junior high from our group of guy friends and it has stuck. Very few people know her as Andrea, therefore, it gets pretty confusing to those who arent familiar with our friendship.
Duren and I have been friends since we were in the first grade. We grew up cheering together, playing together at the ballpark while our brothers played ball, spending many nights together at slumber parties, and eventually walking through life together as we both found our identity in Christ. All Ive ever known about Duren, is her commitment. Whether it was cheerleading, her school work, her friendships, her family, or her faith; Duren was 100% committed to everything that was put in front of her. We'd poke fun at her, because while the rest of us were sliding by in school or cheating on our cheerleading exercises; Duren never participated in our shortcomings. And because of that, she succeeded in everything she did. And at the time, I thought it was crazy, but her dedication and discipline has taught me many life's lesson that still play into my everyday life. Her hard work earned her the position as an Auburn Cheerleader and allowed her to graduate with a bachelors and MBA degree in 5 five years. I believe she is a true picture of what Jesus was talking about when He told us to be faithful with a little and He would entrust us with a lot. Because not only is Duren blessed with an amazing job that is now allowing her to purchase her first home; but she is now a role model for so many people on and off Auburn's campus from her opportunity to display her integrity and faith through being one of the "faces" at Auburn University. As you see, I am so proud of her! I have loved seeing the fruit of her labor!And living together all 4 and a half years in Auburn, I was blessed to not only see all of Duren's work hard pay off, but as a result of numerous late night talks; I had the opportunity to watch Duren's relationship with the Lord blossom beautifully. Even though Duren did all the studying, while I made up for all the socializing; we had a bond Spiritually that words do not express. We both grew to know the Lord on a much deeper level while we were in college, and I know I can speak for myself; but I believe she played (and still does) a vital part in everything the Lord taught while we were on the plains. I love her so much and once again so thankful for another life-long friendship that only the Lord has mended together. Still amazes me to see the Lord's faithfulness in our friendship.......only the Lord can allow 3 best friends to live together all of college and be closer today than when everything began. We can sum our friendship up as this:

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpen another."
Proverbs 27:17

No comments:

Post a Comment