Thursday, July 16, 2009

Conditioned Reflex

Mark Batterson, in the book Wild Goose Chase, refers to our Christianity or Christ following lifestyle as “conditioned reflexes.” A couple of weeks ago, I busted the side mirror of my car from backing out of my garage. I’ve pulled in and out of my garage more times than the hair on my head, and never thought once about possibly knocking one of my mirrors off. Well it eventually happened, and now that it’s fixed, I am super cautious when I back out of my garage. Instead of coasting back at 2 MPH, I intentionally accelerate at 1MPH, watching extremely close on both sides as I crawl out of the garage numerous times a day.

Mark would call my focused attention to my mirrors as a conditioned reflex. Because of my careless mistake and the hassle and money it caused me to have it fixed, my “conditioned reflex” is to keep it from happening again. Inconvenience things happen in our lives and we use so much of our energy to avoid making the same mistake or to prevent the same circumstance or situation from approaching. While being cautious and aware is a good thing, we often let our “conditioned reflexes” affect us spiritually causing self-destruction or destruction in relationships with people. We have a hard time letting go of mistakes and difficulties and letting God RE-CONDITION our reflexes through His grace.
“Your worst days are never so bad that you are beyond the reach of God’s grace. And your best days are never so good that you are beyond the need of God’s grace. Every day should be a day of relating to God on the basis of His grace alone.”
Jerry Bridges
I’m tired of letting Satan’s efforts succeed. He loves devouring our pursuit after Kingdom dreams and Kingdom purposes. He loves stirring up past memories and failures causing us to spend so much energy fighting against our “conditioned reflexes” of either avoiding mistakes or walking on pins and needles over a particular circumstance, that we easily lose sight and confidence in running the race in front of us. The enemy’s goal is counterproductive when we counteract his plan with standing firm on God’s grace. When He’s forgiven you, He’s forgotten. Confidently walk in God’s grace and His forgiveness today!
Hes on to something new today,
and He’s waiting on you to join Him.

1 comment: